Orange Conference 2017- Breakout Notes
THE MARRIEDPEOPLE STRATEGY: WHYS AND HOWS
Thursday, April 27th 10:45 -11:45am
Speakers: Ted Lowe, Heather Matarazzo, and Josh Fortney
I. APPROACHES TO MARRIAGE MINISTRY THAT FALL SHORT
- THE HANDS-OFF APPROACH: Many churches do little to help marriages because of the pace of ministry or because they don’t feel a need.
- THE TOPICAL APPROACH: Some churches view marriage as a topic to be covered, so they address it through various “one-offs”—a sermon series, a study, an event, or a book.
- THE REACTIONARY APPROACH: Other churches spend time and resources on marriage, but they focus solely on couples in crisis—in essence, waiting until marriages are in trouble before offering help, rather than taking a proactive approach that could help couples avoid crisis in the first place.
II. A PROACTIVE, STRATEGIC APPROACH
- A PROACTIVE APPROACH: A proactive approach—a strategy—is more effective than a topical or reactionary approach.
- PARADIGM SHIFTS: Changing from one of these historical marriage ministry approaches to a proactive approach requires some paradigm shifts. It requires moving:
- From an intervention to prevention
Intervention is emotional and the results are measurable.
Prevention is neither—but is far superior.
- From children’s ministry to family ministry
- From isolation to relationship
- From information to experience
- From feminine to feminine and masculine
- From general to focused
- From programs to process
- THE MARRIEDPEOPLE STRATEGY: Because marriage is a process, the MarriedPeople Strategy is designed to encourage and empower couples on a consistent basis––no matter where they are in their marriages. This shift is what makes MarriedPeople a proactive approach, not a topical or reactionary one. It leverages three environments to reach couples:Individual Couple Experiences (dates and monthly emails designed to help couples connect)
Small Group Experiences (community, accountability, faith building)
Larger Group Experiences (vision casting, outreach, inspiration)
III. GET STARTED: PRACTICAL OPTIONS LEADERS CAN IMPLEMENT IMMEDIATELY
- Read Married People: How Your Church Can Build Marriages That Last
- Talk with a MarriedPeople staff member at the Orange booth or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect with other marriage ministry leaders at the MarriedPeople Leaders Facebook group.
- Check out the MarriedPeople Strategy Pack at the Orange Resource Center or online at marriedpeople.org/strategypack